Bella

Bella
Bella

Friday, April 08, 2011

Wow! Its been WINDY! We had to lower the satellite dish on our rig because of the wind gusts. We kept it down for about 6 hours, then the wind gusts seemed to die down, so back up the dish came. Woohoo! We got our internet and tv back. The weather has been crazy. Only a few days ago it was in the low 100's. For our ride it was in the low 80's. Now the weather is gonna be cooler yet with possible rain and thunder and lightening. From one extreme to another. Well, if any rain comes that will make the desert bloom some more........Before the big winds came, we went out on a quad ride with pals Jim/Carol and Jerry/Pat. This was an easy ride in search of blooming flowers. And it was nice and warm even with the winds picking up. It was a most excellent quad ride. We hadn't been out riding since we got Bella. Been sticking around home with her so she could get used to us and her surroundings. Anyway, I snapped a few flower pictures and here they are...........These two pictures are of Fairy Dusters. They have real pretty colors and are light and delicate. I read in my trusty "Wildflowers of Arizona" book that they have a fruit that is in a pea pod shape thing. Here is the might Saguaro Cactus with some Ocotillo. The Ocotillo is starting to bloom and they are a real vibrant when the sun shines on them. They are my favorite cactus. I'm confused about the hedgehog cactus because there are several kinds and colors. But the best thing we seen was a Gila Monster. Yes! A Gila Monster! This is the first time we've seen one out here in the desert. We were driving through a dry wash, just ambling along slow over all the big rocks, when this guy came walking across in front of us. He didn't run when he spotted us so if afforded us all a "Kodak moment". In fact, he wasn't in any kind of hurry. He hung out on the rocks and I was able to snap several pictures of him before he got bored with us and decided to leave. I'm guessing he was about maybe 15 to 17 inches from end to end. And he was brightly colored. His colors were much more brilliant then in my pictures. I think we were all so lucky to see him as we'll probably never "chance" upon one again.....Ok. I know I put lots of pictures of this little critter on here, but am I ever gonna see one in the wild again? The odds are against that. So, if you're looking at my blog, you're stuck with a bunch of Gila Monster pictures cause he was just so facinating. Also, here a website to read all about them. I read it and learned many things I never knew. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

No comments: