Bella

Bella
Bella

Friday, April 06, 2012

And, we are still just thinking about where we're heading when we leave here. I've been researching places and routes on the internet, but we both seem to be having "lazy thinking brains". Its really hard to leave this place when its so quiet and its away from the bigger cities and traffic. We did get out of here one day and drove to Blythe, CA to shop at K-Mart and Albertsons. Thats as close to a big town as we've been since Las Vegas. So, we've just been outside enjoying the warm weather and avoiding the wind when it decides to send dust devils our way. We have three chairs by our rig and you'll find all three of us just sitting and chilling. Me, Dan, and Bella. She lays in her chair "being on guard" for anything that moves in the desert. Its funny. Here are some pictures of "Bonehead's tree". We have a little memorial under this tree for our beloved Bonehead and have spread some of her ashes here. Well, Bella was in the tree and looking down into this hole. She just wouldn't leave this tree. I finally walked over to see what she was doing and I looked in the hole. Staring up at me was a big lizard. Guess he found himself a good spot to "chill" for awhile. Can't even imagine how we looked to him when he was staring up at us. There are several openings to the inside of the tree near it's base. Bella checked out all of them. I'm sure she could see it, but I'm thinking mostly that she could smell it. Soon her and Dan were checking it out. Dan was not trying to make the lizard move so Bella could try and chase it. He was just trying to make it look up again. Bella was checking out another hole in the tree. Looking this way you could see the lizard's tail. And I do believe that her paw touched the tail because I just happened to catch her backing up with a surprised look on her face. Next time we looked in that hole the lizard was gone. He had moved farther down into the tree. We couldn't see it but Bella could smell it. I guess he had enough of the furry grey thing bugging him. She is trying to see where the lizard went. I looked down the hole but all I could see was darkness. I never could get a picture. He looked pretty good sized and it didn't look like an iguana like we seen before. Here is Bella the next day checking out the tree again. As you can probably tell by the look on her face, the lizard is long gone. She didn't smell anything here.Dan and I took a short quad ride looking for more blooming desert flowers. I guess its just not time yet as we didn't see anything this time. We were gonna go through these tunnels under the freeway, I-10, but we could only get through the first set of tunnels. After that there was a big drop off getting to the next set of tunnels. Oh well. I remember trying that several years ago, going this way. So we just went under the south side of I-10 and turned around.This is the back side of "Q Mountain". There is a HUGE white Q on the other side for Quartzsite. At the top of the mountain are the American flag and the POW flag. Both my sons have climbed up this mountain on the other side. We've been about half way up on the quad. After we came home from our short quad ride, we were sitting and chilling, as usual, when I looked up from where I was sitting and seen this ring around the sun. I couldn't get a good picture of it and had to use the slide on our 5th wheel to block out the sun. My camera is just not good enough to take pictures looking at the sun. I couldn't remember what this was called so I looked it up on the internet that night. Here is what I found. "The halos (or, sometimes known as "sundogs" around the sun) are usually seen when there are high cirrus clouds overhead. Those clouds are made of tiny ice crystals, which will refract the sunlight much like a prism will and voila! You have a rainbow halo around the sun. It works the same way with moonlight, and it's usually a sign that rain is on the way, as high clouds usually precede a storm front." Interesting. I took this picture on April 4th. We didn't have a storm move though on April 5th but we did have clouds and wind all day. Enough wind that I lowered the satellite dish on the roof of our rig when we went to sleep. It would have been too cool to get a good picture. There are colors in the ring but they are very hard to see. The straight cloud looking thing going through the ring is from a jet that had flown overhead.And so life goes on in the desert. Yesterday when we were in Blythe grocery shopping, Dan picked out a nice rib-eye roast for our Easter dinner. We'll be slow cooking that. Yummy.......Today, April 6th, is mail day. Hopefully we'll be getting our monthly packet of mail from home. Thats always fun. I'm gonna ride the quad to the post office today I think.

No comments: