Bella

Bella
Bella

Friday, December 09, 2011

Lunar eclipse on 12/10. I'm sure we'll see it as the sky has been clear. Our Canadian pal Diane asked me to help her "build" our other pal Jim. She calls him Jughead Jim and is saving a "camping spot" for him and wife Carol when they arrive here. Now he has a greeting party. We think hes quite cool looking. Hes just sitting here in the desert being the reservation guy. Jim and Carol will really get a kick out of seeing him sitting there when they arrive. Dan was out on the quad a few days ago and just happened upon a great horned owl. How cool is that? We've never seen an owl here before. Well, he asked me if I wanted to try and take a picture of it if he could find it again, so me and him and neighbor Ken went out on the quads looking. We found the owl perched in a tree less then a mile from where we are camped. I managed to get a picture of him watching us, then he flew off. He didn't go far because I managed to get one more picture. Although he is hidden in the branches, you can still see him watching us. Dan figured that he had about a 4' wing span. He was pretty good sized. Not too much else happening here besides Dan raising up two more solar panels on the roof. We have 6 panels and three of them are now slanted up facing west. Having the solar panels really cuts down on the generator usage. Now I'm debating if I should put our little Christmas tree up. Bella has inspected it and tried to take a bite of it. I'm pretty sure she'll leave the tree alone as she now leaves my plant alone. But, she might be tempted to think all the little ornaments hanging on the branches are cat play toys. I guess we'll see what happens. Christmas is coming soon. Pretty soon another holiday buffet dinner in the desert, if its a decent day weather wise.

3 comments:

Tom Williams said...

Your owl reminds me of the time my son in law was all excited because he saw an "eagle" land in a tree right behind us. Well, it wasn't an eagle. It was a turkey. Frankly, I didn't even know that turkeys ever got up into trees. It was a pretty amazing sight.

Patty, Dan, Bella, and Bonehead in spirit said...

Thanks for your comment Tom. I went to check out your blog and I love the drawing of the 5th wheel. I'm assuming that you drew the picture. Its way cool.

Tom Williams said...

Actually, even though I am an artist an could have drawn the sketch of the Hitch Hiker, it is a photograph taken with my Droid using a program called "Camera Fun Pro".
This conversation reminded me of an incident years ago when I was publishing a weekly shopper. I had spent a great deal of time looking for some clip art to put in an ad. Then it dawned on me, "I'm and artist - I could draw it!" Funny how you get used to using technology and forget your own skill set sometimes.